d3t is at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studio is continuing to grow and we are looking for a Technical Animator to join the expanding Animation Team. Our studio, part of the Keywords Studios Group, works on multiple exciting projects at any one time offering plenty of variety and involvement.
Our studio is based near Runcorn in Cheshire, and we offer an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment. We are incredibly passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on our anti-crunch mentality, mentoring ethos and have been awarded ‘Best Places to Work’ multiple times by gamesindustry.biz including 2021 and 2022. In addition, we recently won ‘Best Creative Service Provider‘ at Develop 2022.
THE ROLE - Technical Animator
- A passionate, talented Technical Animator with an understanding of rigging and tools creation, to devise solutions and workflows and create high quality character rigs both for in-game and cinematic scenes, alongside the rest of the fabulous d3t Animation Team.
DO YOU WANT TO
- Create world class character animation rigs and tools for games animation.
- Devise tools, pipelines and workflows to support game animation production.
- Work on AAA games.
- Collaborate with amazing games studios around the world.
- Create and develop high quality character rigs and tools for use throughout a variety of game titles.
- Support the needs of the animation team and ensure they have the tools they need to do their jobs.
- Work with and support internal teams and external partners in pushing the technical side of games animation.
- Build, skin, test and maintain rigs for characters, creatures & vehicles and working with the art/animation team to bring these to life.
- Build, skin, test and maintain a facial set up which may be sent to outside companies to create new motion capture data.
- Work closely with Tech Art to create and maintain tools for automation and refining the animation pipeline.
- Work on both in game and cinematic rigs.
- Use both commercial and in-house tools to integrate characters rigs into the game pipeline.
- Report to the Lead Animator for tasks, revisions, training and creative ideas and take full ownership of all assigned tasks.
- Work alongside art and animation leads to set the standard and to ensure final assets achieve the initial vision.
- Ensure work hits all memory and frame rate guides and adhere to overall project guidelines in terms of naming conventions, folder structures etc.
- Work closely with animators and tech art helping improve tools and practices.
- Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve efficiency in the animation pipeline and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
- Adhere to schedules and promptly feedback regarding any resourcing concerns and productions risks.
- Attend regular animation reviews and both give and receive feedback and encourage and mentor other members of the Animation Team.
- Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the animation team.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Enjoy the technical challenge and constraints of real-time game development.
- Ability to create a variety of specific custom rigs.
- Experience in rigging and skinning in Maya and 3DS Max.
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially with regards to character deformations.
- Thorough knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics and kinesiology for humans and animals.
- Excellent knowledge of constrain, deformer and dynamics systems and a thorough understanding of weighting, skinning.
- Strong communication and organisation skills and confident working interactively with artists and animators to resolve challenges.
- Good understanding of various tools, software and game engines used in current gen development.
- Practical and methodical approach to both technical and creative problem-solving.
- Ability to take art direction effectively and understand that amendments are part of the pipeline.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a Technical Animator.
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
- Good knowledge of current game development practices and terminology and a passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
- Ability to respond to feedback and/or changes where required and deliver them within fixed time constraints.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Just some of the many offered by d3t:
- 25 days holiday (+ bank holidays)
- Company Pension Scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Private Medical and Dental Insurance
- Eye Care Scheme
- Employee Share Scheme
- Anti-crunch ethos – an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment!
- Income Protection
- Annual Bonus – be rewarded for great teamwork!
- Free Parking
- Tech and Bike Scheme
- Training & Industry Events
- Complimentary Refreshments – an extensive range to suit all dietary preferences
- Company Socials, Project Launch/Wrap Parties + Annual d3t Events
- Breakout Areas – filled with perks such as games, a BBQ, snacks etc.
Please note for this role we are looking for it to be UK based – either hybrid, studio based or remote within the UK.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Not a problem – please apply. At d3t we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace and culture. If this opportunity excites you but your current skills or experience don’t align perfectly with the job description, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles within our team.
Apply NowInterested in joining our team? Click the button below to start your application.
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY
d3t is strongly committed to protecting your personal information. By sending your CV/Resume, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and consent to your data being managed and retained in accordance with our data privacy and retention policy.
We will keep your personal details on file for 6 months and they will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it is being retained. If you prefer that your personal details are not retained then please advise.